Saturday, May 8, 2010

In Which I Avoid a Trip to Dollar Tree

Fred Meyer was a madhouse at 10am. The row displaying Mother's Day cards was packed, shoulder to shoulder with desperate yet hopeful looking males. The scene reminded me a bit of combat fishing on Alaska's Kenai River.

I was quite prepared to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible, but hit a wall when I could not find the perfect thing to hold several little gifts I got for the mothers I will be visiting with tomorrow. I knew that Dollar Tree would have just the thing I was looking for but I've made a solemn oath never to go to Dollar Tree again.

So Dollar Tree was out.

I carefully scanned all 3 aisles of gift wrap and party supplies once, then twice, then--heaven help me--a third time. I was burning daylight and the lines at the check-out were only getting longer. I thought of checking JoAnn's, but no. Visiting JoAnn's on a Saturday should not be attempted without a mild sedative and 2 hours of free time.

Long story short, I realized I had cute paper at home and the world wide web at my fingertips. I was certain I could find simple directions for exactly what I had in mind.


Aren't they cute?

6 comments:

I-Shüan said...

Love. Them. You just had all that cute paper lying around? How big were the boxes? They are super cute and way better than anything you could've found at joann's!

Afton said...

I want to say they were probably 4 inch square on the bottom. Yes, I had all that paper lying around. I bought a stack at JoAnn's a while back for scrapbooking and realized I was probably not going to use it all and might as well use it since I had the need.

a said...

Okay, you are my hero! But come on, the dollar tree has TREASURES!!!!
A

Afton said...

a-space more than stuff.

Emily said...

yeah for you! They are gorgeous!

Debbie said...

I LOVE these too!!! :)