Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Inspired

A few nights ago we finished reading the fourth "How to Train your Dragon" book by Cressida Cowell. I found out that there were 3 or 4 additional books published (book #8 is currently available in the UK, but not the US) and went about ordering them from Amazon.

Jonah was curious to see what books would be arriving in the coming week and one thing lead to another and we ended up at Cressida Cowell's official website. In the "About Me" section Jonah and I read about Cressida's childhood spending part of Spring and Summer on an uninhabited island off the coast of Scotland. The name of the island, she said, was a secret.

There followed several pictures of Cressida as a child on the island writing stories. Because that is what she did as a child: write stories. Jonah was instantly inspired. Even though it was way past his bedtime, he wanted to write a story and he wanted to write it immediately.

I was able to get him to wait until today, and here is what he came up with:

The Story to Help You Remember That Dragons Hate Rain. Jonah N., Illustrated by Jonah N.
(The top of the page says: The cutting line. It cuts feet and talons.)
There once lived a dragon and he hated the rain because he is used to being warm and he can't stand cold weather. It's just like taking a cold shower--yeh just don't like it so you get out. It was the same with the dragon.

At Dragons Tribe there was a canyon that made it always rain. Why? I don't know. So as I was saying, one day the sun came out. Dragon was so happy he just had to get out and enjoy it.
(Page 3, below) It was very sunny every day and dragon enjoyed it every day too. He made a swimming pool and he tried it and liked cold water after all on hot days. So Dragon got dressed in warm clothes every day. He liked it. But then they ran out of rain. Every ocean was covered up. He was too hot. It was all up to him to stop them. He made his fire get stronger so he burnt the Stretcher.

(Page 4, above) What is a Stretcher? Stretcher is a fluffy animal that can stretch as much as it wanted. Back to the story. Then it started raining out there. There was a good thing about the Stretchers covering the ocean and I'll tell you why. Because you could walk across the ocean on them. Oh, I forgot to tell you the island we're on is Dragon Island. And the Dragon loved the rain.
Jonah included his author bio on the back of the book:

P.S. I don't like cold weather and my favorite animal is a komodo dragon. And I spell words wrong and I make backwards letters. I don't really like to write. I look like this.

6 comments:

megan said...

love it! claire will be so excited to read this!!

Erika said...

That is the cutest thing EVER! I loved the story and his imagination. It made me smile the whole time. Sounds like he takes after his mom.

Natalie said...

Wow--for someone who doesn't like to write he sure wrote a lot! I loved it.

Emily said...

a budding young author....warms my heart!

Unknown said...

Now that is a story I would buy!
a

Angela Taylor said...

That is so funny and cute! I'm totally going to buy those books...the boys loved the movie!