Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Case Against Allowance: Dollar Tree

If anyone needed a reason to not give their kids allowance, I present to you, Dollar Tree, where $3 equals Poker Night. (Three liters of soda, 1 pound of animal crackers and a Texas Poker Set.)

I miss the days when the only thing I could fear from Dollar Tree was a second-rate toy that would break in the car on the way home. Now I have giant amounts of junk food and...well, POKER.

I thought that I was paying my kids so little in allowance they'd be forced to save. But no. Dollar Tree makes it possible for kids to avoid learning to save altogether. Just take your measly old dollar and pick out anything in the whole store!

It's the allowance black hole!

(Are you asking yourself how my kids got to Dollar Tree in the first place? Well, just shut up. I'm not ever taking them there again OK?)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I love it! Who would have thought that for three dollars you could have everything you need for poker night? :) Kids are incredibly creative! Now that my daughter is old enough to understand money, she has no desire to save and only wants to spend it at Dollar Tree, too....

Erika said...

So true! I stopped taking my kids there long ago because I was sick and tired of the JUNK!! Plus, I can't stand the atmosphere in all of the dollar stores I've been in. They stink and they're always a mess. I try to avoid them, and usually only go once a year around Christmas time. You are so funny Afton with the poker night stuff!!

claire said...

I can't believe they came up with idea of poker night and put together all the items for it. On the bright side, all those tiny pieces will probably be lost soon.

Afton said...

I have no doubt the little pieces of the poker set will be lost before long, but that 3 liter thing of soda will last forever!

Marah said...

Maybe you can stop paying allowance in dollars and use the chips instead....

a said...

Ah, Texas Hold 'Em. Home school math for the well informed!
a