Thursday, May 27, 2010

Food Storage Challenge: Day 5

Last night's food storage dinner was a smashing success. Basic Bulgur Poultry Casserole from the Making the Best of the Basics Family Preparedness Handbook was delicious. Ethan and Robert had seconds and I would have too if it weren't for this thing I'm doing. Our side dishes were left over Mahana (you ugly) from Sunday and frozen corn from the freezer.

I made cookies yesterday and have been hoarding them like a miser. Since we are out of snacks, these have become the snacks. I need to put them in school lunches and have them available after school. So last night when Robert was eating them as freely as he normally eats chocolate chip cookies, I gave him the what for. (Part of my indignation probably came from the fact that I haven't even been able to taste any of the yummy looking cookies, because of this thing I'm doing.)

I have 5 eggs left and only 2 more days of the Food Storage Challenge so in reality, we're not in an egg crisis. But what if we didn't know how long those eggs would have to last us? What if this were a real emergency that lasted 6 weeks instead of 6 days? See how important those eggs would become? I'd need them to make bread, for example.

I know. I need to relax a little.

Ethan was very curious about the bottomless milk jug. I just told him we still had milk and he could use it on his cereal and he seemed satisfied with that answer.

We still have plenty of food to eat. I have freezer dinners in the freezer, stuff in the pantry and jars of preserves in the garage. Tonight we will have left over chimichangas, which was a freezer dinner. Friday we will have the left over Basic Bulgur Poultry Casserole.

Then, early Saturday morning, I'm getting up and going to Winco and buying two dozen eggs, fresh veggies and fruit, and I would say milk but the milkman delivered yesterday but we're holding off consuming that until Saturday.

Should be a piece of cake. Which by the way, would require 3 eggs to make.

8 comments:

Anna said...

If you have room in your fridge, or an extra fridge, you can rub eggs in mineral oil, turn them upside down in the carton, and somehow they last for at least six months and sometimes up to a year. I know people who do this all the time.

Also, I think there is some sort of egg substitute out there - not something commercial but some other normal product you can use instead of eggs. I can't remember off hand, but if I think of it, I'll let you know.

I wish I had a Winco.

Afton said...

Anna, it's unflavored gelatin that can be substituted for eggs in baked goods. Evidently ground flax seed can be substituted in some instances too. I'm going to research it a bit and will probably add Knox gelatin to my food storage. Evidently egg substitutes are expensive and do not last very long but Knox is cheap and will last a very long time.

a said...

I am thinking you need chickens in your backyard! a

Senia said...

Based on how hot you look modeling that skirt, I think you could indulge in a cookie!

Anna said...

I think I was thinking of flaxseed. But gelatin sounds much better. Flaxseed doesn't last forever either.

Natalie said...

Won't you all be surprised when a REAL emergency hits your area late tonight and your ward leaders will feel terrible that they have just caused everyone to deplete their already inadequate storage. :-) Hee-hee--just kidding. I actually think it's a great idea to do this fake emergency thing. (But if your forecast looks iffy, go get your eggs tonight!)

Erika said...

There are recipes for egg-less bread out there and I even have a chocolate cake recipe that has no eggs in it and you would never know. Check it out!

I-Shüan said...

I thought I only had 2-3 eggs left so when I was making banana bread I used the substitute of 1 T cornstarch + 3 T water for one of the eggs and there was no difference. (When I got the eggs out of the fridge I actually had 6 left!)