Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sew What!: Roadside Mix

This is skirt number two from Sew What! Skirts. It's an A-line with a back zipper and darts. As with my first Sew What! Skirts Skirt, I drafted the pattern for this skirt using my own measurements and instructions from the book. I'm calling it Roadside Mix in homage to Clyde Robin Seed Company's number one selling wildflower mix for 40 years.

Initially, this skirt didn't take very long to make. I put it together in about 2 hours. However, I decided not to add darts which was a huge mistake. After trying it on and realizing that it really, really needed darts, I knew I needed to re-do it. Working myself up to sit down with the stitch ripper took 3 weeks and making the actual darts and putting the skirt back together took another hour.

I thought this fabric flower would really tie the look together. I got the instructions from this site and just happened to have this green button on hand. It was super easy to make.

Finally, the shoes. They're purple. A little age-inappropriate? Maybe. I sure got a lot of compliments from all the young women at church.

This skirt is the second in my 3-Skirt Plan to create the actual skirt I wanted to make from Sew What! Skirts in the first place. Skirt number one and two have been practice. Skirt number three will be the ONE.

I hope.

p.s. My head is cut off in the above pic because it's artsy, not because I was the only one available to take my picture, had to use the camera's timer feature, and balance the camera on it's end on the edge of the patio table while everyone waited for me in the car so we could go to church. And it was raining.

9 comments:

A. Hunter said...

Afton! This looks like a photo out of a magazine!! You look great! (aside from your head being cut off but I get that) Loooove the shoes, love the skirt, love the jacket, love it all! You should send this in to the skirt pattern place and have them replace their cover ad with a picture of you on the pattern.

BTW...everyone in my ward makes these fabric flowers now and has their girls wear them in their hair. They are becomming all the rage. I hear they're easy to make but I don't care to make them. For the centers they cover the buttons in fabric or something so it looks like a fabric nub or something like that. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Love it! You are beautiful!

Chelsea said...

It does look like a magazine photo! Not only is the skirt so cute, but look at those HOT legs. No wonder you were getting compliments!! You are seriously one hot, talented mama. Way to go girl.

Emily said...

Darling and you fit right in with all the YW for sure...the jacket is to die for too! It makes me want to break out the sewing machine right now!

a said...

Awesome job! My hero! I just saw fabric flowers at Chicos for an outrageously high price and thought how could I make them? Now I can. Thanks. Instead of a pin on the back, they used a magnet and I like that idea cuz then you just magnet on to your outfit wherever and no need to fear pin holes and pulling on some fabric! Can I try your skirt on?
a

Natalie said...

I really am so pleased with myself for knowing you. How do you do it all?

Betty Grace said...

cute cute. love it!

Erika said...

Look at you hot mama! I love the whole outfit-the purple shoes are perfect. Love the fabric too. Two thumbs up!!

Heather said...

Once again, I am so impressed by your crafty self, and I love how you off-handedly mention that you made this little "fabric flower" with just some extra fabric. As if "just anyone" could do it. :) (I would not have the patience.)
And, I LOVE your shoes--I want them.

Afton said...

Heather, I'm pretty sure you could handle the flower. It' took a total of 10 minutes. If you can trace and cut and sew a button, you can do it.