Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Jell-o Project: Bonus Edition

This is supposed to be a lovely Zesty Ginger Fruit Salad housewarming Jell-o mold for Samurai Mom. Instead, my inadequate mold turning-out skills rendered this salad a catastrophe. Here's where everything went wrong:

1. I felt very strongly that this Jell-o salad sit on a bed of lettuce leaves. I picked some beautiful leaves from my garden, washed and dried them, then placed them on the plate. Then I tried to quickly invert the mold onto the plate so that it would turn out in the center of the plate while not disturbing the lettuce garnish. But I hesitated mid turn-out.

2. This particular Jell-o salad has a frothy, whipped middle layer which, I quickly learned, is very unstable. Like an unnatural disaster, the top layer of Jell-o came sliding off as a result of the seismic activity of my sub-par mold turn-out.

What I should have done was place the lettuce leaf garnish on top of the mold, then the plate on top of the lettuce, then flipped the whole thing.

I'll do better next time.

Because there will be a next time.

1 comment:

a said...

Hmm. Kind of makes one not want a new house! hahahaha Just kidding! It is nicely separated so one can admire its many layers! Besides, have you seen her cool new house?!?!?!
a