Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Jell-o Project: In Which I Find My Test Subjects Wholly Inadequate

I refuse to believe that my Cinnamon Apple Jell-o Mold was not absolutely perfect. Because I tasted it, and it was. And if I had normal kids, they would have gobbled up this perfect mixture of applesauce, cinnamon, raisins, pecans, 7-up and strawberry Jell-o and asked for seconds.

But my kids are not normal.

And, they are fired.

Their integrity as Jell-o testers has been compromised by a strong bias against my weekly dome-shaped molds. I would suspect conspiracy, but honestly, they're not that organized.

All of them gladly sucked the whipped cream right off the top, but Isaac and Ethan would not take another bite until I insisted. "I need your feedback," I begged. Ethan took his fork and used one tine to dig out a sliver of Jell-o.

"Nope, I don't like it." He said.

Isaac witnessed me making the Jell-o earlier in the day. He helped me measure the raisins and nuts. He asked for pieces of the apple I cut up. He dumped the 7-up into the warm applesauce and Jell-o mixture on the stove. He took a perfectly chunk free bite of Jell-o right off the top of the mold and said, "I like it medium."

"Well, if you like it medium," I said, "why don't you eat a medium amount of it?"

"I don't like it that good." He said.

"You said medium! Take another bite!" I demanded.

He didn't.

Jonah has been my Jell-o ally these past few weeks, generally eating up every bit of Jell-o I put in front of him. Not tonight. "I don't like raisins," he said. I know for a fact this is a lie.

Robert ate the whole serving of Jell-o and agreed that the kids not liking it was a total mystery. "A perfect combination of chunk and smooth," he said. "The cinnamon is a delicious foil to the nuts and raisins. The bouquet is flavorful and..."

OK, I'm lying. He didn't really say all those things. But I'm sure he was thinking them and would have said them if he didn't have a mouthful delicious Cinnamon Apple Jell-o.

And to think--I thought I was doing them a favor by NOT making chicken flavored aspic with ham and peas and maraschino cherries!

They don't know how good they have it.

Ingrates!

7 comments:

Karina said...

I think kids are crazy these days...mine don't appreciate a good jello either. I can't figure out how they can pass up those desserts (called side dishes)at potlucks. When I was a kid I thought they were absolutely delish!

Anna said...

I have never heard of cinnamon apple jello. I have to admit I'm not a fan of raisins either, but the rest sounds fabulous.

Senia said...

We're having a family get-together on ____ (TBD) to celebrate ____ (TBD). We'll put Erik on green salad duty (Mmm, don't you love ice berg lettuce from a bag?!). Please bring Cinnamon Apple Jell-o Molds.

I-Shüan said...

Raisins in jello? I had never even thought of such a thing before...thankfully. Isn't that weird? I see why they left that part out of the title.

So YOU liked it? Did the 7-up make it taste carbonated?

Looking forward to further adventures in jello...

a said...

So really, Afton, who would not like ground up cow hooves? I mean what could be better than not wasting any part of the animal we "harvest". Cinnamon, apples, raisins, ground cow hooves. It is just to wonderful. Actually I really do love jello and after having my babies and being on an all liquid diet, I ate more jello on that maternity floor than anyone! Really, they have my photo and everything!
a

Debbie said...

The writing in this is HILARIOUS! :) I think you could compile all your jello posts into a VERY interesting and super FUNNY coffee table book!

Afton said...

Debbie, I was actually thinking of making it its own blog, but the blog in my head is designed way better than my limited skills would be able to duplicate.