Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Jell-o Project: Lemon Jell-o Salad with Marshmallows

This week's Jell-o recipe was selected for it's yellowness. (Recipe in comment section). I thought it would look especially striking on my new, purple plate. Plus, it had marshmallows and 7-up in it, so I figured there was a good chance my family would like it.

Of course it also had crushed pineapple, so there was an equally good chance my family would hate it.

I decided I would not mention the pineapple.

Jonah loved it. "Mmmm. Pineapple!" He said, right away.

"There's pineapple in it?" Ethan said. "I'm not eating it."

Isaac took 5 bites only so he could have dessert later, because evidently, a jiggly sugar mold with 7-up and marshmallows doesn't count as dessert. He nearly gagged, but got down all 5 bites.

Ethan picked out and ate all visible marshmallows and declared himself "done."

As usual, Robert and I both enjoyed our Jell-o salad. I definitely detected a subtle fizz from the 7-up and felt the marshmallows offered a pleasant airy contrast to the dense sweetness of the bananas and pineapple.

Robert, I'm sure, would have agreed.

Next week's Jell-o will not be made in my grandmother's molds, but in a 9x13 casserole. Even though the presentation will be a boring rectangle, I'm sure you will want to find out how my family likes it when I tell you the name of it is...

...Mahana (you ugly).

See you next week!

5 comments:

Afton said...

Lemon Jello Salad
2 small packages lemon Jello
1 can pineapple chunks, drained
2 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 c. 7-Up
3 bananas, sliced
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Cool and let partially set. Stir in 7-Up, pineapple,
marshmallows, and bananas. Chill until Jello is completely set.

I-Shüan said...

Nice use of complementary colors!
When is Mahana going to be brought to fruition? I don't know if I'll be able to sleep til then.

I find it interesting that your kids seem to be positing that just because something is full of sugar doesn't mean it tastes good. Can that really be true?

Heather said...

So have you made the Jell-O salad that we had at your wedding? (Or is that the one for next week?) We love that one & my mom still makes it every Christmas Eve with our pasty dinner. :)

Erika said...

Oooh, I really can't wait until next week! Very curious.

a said...

All I want for Christmas is Afton's jello salad (ohh and the handsome black man on the old spice commercial with two tickets to that thing I love and he is riding a horse!)
a