Sunday, November 23, 2008

Good News, and Just News

You will be happy to know (particularly after casting your eyes upon this grainy photo) that I got a nice new camera. The camera that snapped this shot of a group of us coming out of the Twilight movie was 6 years old and had once been mistaken for a "film" camera.

So, yay! I got a new camera.

Also, I saw the Twilight movie. Did you see the Twilight movie? What did you think? I have a poll over there on the right. I'd love your opinion, and if you have other feelings to voice, Please feel free to use the "comment" feature.

So, what did I think?

Well, I've been hesitant to say anything publicly about this since Stephenie Meyer and I are practically best friends.

Seriously, the real reason I didn't want to say anything is because good friend Debbie is in Singapore where the movie is not yet out. Debbie was the ringleader behind the Stephenie Meyer "The Host" book signing as well as the Borders Books "Breaking Dawn" release party party. So it was hard not to have Debbie with us at the Twilight Movie.

And I really want her to have a great movie experience with out my feedback clouding up the moving going magic for her.

But, it appears she's read other blogs and movie reviews and is going to find out about the movie one way or another.

So, here is what I think. Are you still with me?

I think this movie was made to appeal to teens (gasp!) and even though the books were YA they appealed to a wide age range. But, the movie does not. It's not surprising that the books had more character development. That's why books are always better than their movie counterparts. And in the books, Edward is...well...perfect. He's smooth, dazzling, considerate, careful and even fun. Rob Pattinson's Edward is, in many parts of the movie, awkward, strange, inconsistent, creepy and a little overly-dramatic. He doesn't even look cute fake sleeping.

So sorry. I really wanted RP to be Edward. I really did. He's just not. At least not for me. Maybe he is for you, and that's fine.

Kristen Stewart's Bella wasn't much better, but I'll just stop here.

I know there is a wide range of opinion on this topic. (Such an important topic too, considering all that is going on in the world!) So, what say you?

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Good for you! You didn't tell me anything I didn't already suspect ;)

Solid post! I'll comment more when I've seen it!

Erika said...

You are so right about it being geared for teenagers--like the dress shop scene where what's her name says the dress makes her boobs look good--LAME! But I still loved the movie and thought it was a good piece of entertainment. They should have skipped all the flashbacks-cheese city! But look on Stephenie's website if you haven't already...they are getting ready to make NEW MOON!

Betty Grace said...

I liked it better than I thought I would. Although I heard some bad reviews and thought the trailers were cheesy, so I went in with really low expectations which I think helped. I didn't like the casting of Edward or Carlile. But got into the rest of the characters OK. I will say the guy who plays Edward does have a non-human look about him, but I didn't think of him as good looking. Rick went with me and he liked it as well. Although we are both vampire movie junkies.

Angela Taylor said...

You totally summed it up so well! The more I think about the movie the less I liked it. I want to see it again but I'm not sure I want to spend another $10 to be dissapointed!

Tara said...

I haven't gone to see it yet. I will. Have to admit, I'm having trouble getting up the enthusiasm to go, as I was disenchanted with the last book. Plus "the girls" here don't go do stuff like that. Good thing "the girls" in PDX still do! Love the t-shirts - and so happy you got a new camera. ;-)

Emily said...

I liked it, I'll admit. I wasn't thrilled with Edward, but I don't think they could have anyone better...Brad Pitt is too old and so is Orlando Bloom. What do you do? It was nice to see a teenage film where everyone was clothed and it truly isn't as cheezy as most of the movies out there geared towards teenagers...and come on, the dress shop scene...I remember saying something just like that and acting just like they did...I think it portrayed real teenagers and not fake plastic ones...so why are a bunch of married women so attracted to a book and film about a teenage girl...that is the bigger question? What's your theory on that one?

Erika said...

I'm going to go see it again today. I've heard it's better the second time around.

Afton said...

I love Emily's question...

Why are grown women so attracted to a book about a teenage romance?

I'm thinking about it, but it might have something to do with the fact that Edward wasn't exactly 17, that Bella seemed more mature than her mom and that both of them seemed to be out of place.

I think I'm going to have to google it.

Emily said...

Afton, I have googled too...it's beyond me! I made a new post just about this very thing...leave your opinion. I'm very curious...

Erika said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I used to be in Samarai Mom's ward, but now I'm not. I don't think we are in the same ward.

Yes, it's a little odd that this series sucks us in! I'm hoping they do a better job with New Moon, but I still enjoyed watching Twilight. :)