Monday, November 3, 2008

Dishwasher Blues

We got a new dishwasher because the old one broke and it was 10 years old and we didn't want to pay to have someone come and look at it when we could get a new dishwasher for a few hundred dollars.

So we got a new dishwasher.

Robert installed it.

He did a great job except the dishwasher leaks, so we have a little pan under it to catch the water when we run loads and so Robert can troubleshoot and try and fix it.

Truth be told, I miss my old dishwasher. I liked the way the racks were organized. I miss the thing on the old dishwasher that held my flat ware. My new flat ware basket is puny and appropriate for about half a day's dirty forks and spoons.

Our old washer was fine until they day the heat-dry cycle would not turn off. It stayed on even when the door was opened for unloading. Of course this meant that all the dishes were super dry but burned my skin like hot lava when I tried to put them away. (Good thing I have an Ove Glove.)

It also meant that we lived in constant fear of our house spontaneously combusting. We had to turn the switch on and off at the breaker box in the garage every time we wanted to do a load of dishes. And, we had to be around to flip that switch as soon as the load was done. It was becoming tedious.

So, we got a shiny, small flat ware basketed, slightly leaking dishwasher. It is nice and shiny.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I'd take a leaky dishwasher, shiny or otherwise over no dishwasher!!! That's right, I don't have a dishwasher! And I went all out last night and made a fancy dinner, which meant over an hour of dishes!!! YUCK!

Erika said...

I don't have a dishwasher either, so I envy you with your nice new shiny one! Hope your hubby can get the leak fixed so you can have no worries and enjoy!

Heather said...

Sorry about the leak, but at least you can rest easy that your house will not blow up. :/

Anonymous said...

The connection to the dishwasher is leaking and not the actual dishwasher. The leak can be fixed for sure with the right parts. I've been home sick and have not gone out to look for the right parts. R

Tara said...

Bummer we can't combine your old dishwasher with my dishwasher... mine is over 10 years old (not as nice as the one I had in Portland and the one in Portland wasn't all that nice, but then again nothing is as good in Utah... but I've said that before and now I'm rambling).
Anyway, the point is that my dishwasher won't dry the dishes anymore... if only there had been a way to share your perpetual dry cycle.