Tuesday, November 4, 2008

In Which I Kick Myself for Not Taking a "Before" Shot

Picture if you will, a white stove top that has 4 years worth of burned-on food bits caked to its surface. The drip pans are so dirty, visitors think they are actually gray.

The drip pans and stove top are not dirty from neglect but from ignorance. You see, the owner of this stove top didn't know the right way to get years of burnt-on, baked-on layers to come off. She tried scrubbing with 409, baking soda and vinegar, Comet and even Windex (thanks "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but it didn't work.)

Then, this misinformed house wife gets a shiny new dishwasher and a harsh spotlight is cast on the stained stove top. The layers of gunk now stand out like an ugly parrot in a parcel of penguins.

She considered buying replacement parts and then had a flash of inspiration: Oven Cleaner.

Oven cleaner that says "Heavy Duty" on the can and burns your lungs when you spray it (even if you hold your breath and hold a rag to your nose and mouth).

Two applications (three for some pieces), 4 Brillo pads, a hundred paper towels and a mere 24 hours later, the stove top gleams. It shines! It looks better than the new dishwasher.

And if anyone gets one speck of anything on my new and improved stove top, so help me...

10 comments:

Erika said...

I bet it makes you so happy to look at it! Good job. I don't know about you, but canning season was brutal to my stovetop and I still haven't been able to get all of the "brown stuff" off. You just gave me my answer! Thanks once again for a great post.

Heather said...

I can say with absolute first-hand-viewing certainty that the stove looks AMAZING! :) Get a little loopy from the fumes, did ya??

Betty Grace said...

there is a certain satisfaction you can only get from sparkling clean kitchen appliances!

Emily said...

Good job Afton! I can never get mine clean enough. I will try the brillo pad too!

rebecca said...

Afton! I just left a reply to your reply on my blog. (cyber-life is so weird.) Anyway, nice to meet you!
I am ashamed to say that my 1976 stove needs some work, and I had been putting it off - having tried many products. You have inspired me! It looks great.

I-Shüan said...

"stand out like an ugly parrot in a parcel of penguins" ...you're good! :-)

Your stove is so bright now I was blinded when I walked into your kitchen yesterday!

Afton said...

I love collective nouns. There were many options for penguins, but I liked "parcel" the best. One day I hope to write about a charm of hummingbirds. How sweet is that?

Debbie said...

ok i-shuan beat me to it...but it has to be said, if there was some big fancy blog awards show in the category of "most creative description"

the winner would be...

"stand out like an ugly parrot in a parcel of penguins"

Love it! Way to make me laugh!! Can you work that line into your book? :D

Tara said...

Ahhhh, thank you for the reminder about Oven Cleaner. In this age of self-cleaning ovens, it's so easy to forget. How is Easy-Off staying in business anyway? Welllll, as I mentioned before my appliances in this house aren't quite so snappy. Oven Cleaner is just what I needed to remember. Can't wait to give it a go on my stove top! Thanks!

Marah said...

My most recent major home project was carpet cleaning. I did it myself with my Bissell and followed up with Scotchguard, and it makes me happy every time I walk on my carpet now. While in the midst of the project, I'm thinking cranky things like, "My pioneer ancestors never had to do this kind of stuff." And afterward I'm just happy. And I think about all the other modern conveniences I also enjoy, such as antibiotics and hot running water.