Thursday, November 13, 2008

Time Machine

If you could go back in time to one day in history, which day would you choose and why?

This is the topic of a speech Ethan must give for his 5th grade class this week.

In an effort to help Ethan with his speech we made this time machine question the topic of our family dinner conversation last night. We were eating, we were brainstorming. We were multi-tasking!

Here is everyone's take on the time machine topic:

Robert
He'd like to go back in time to the day that Bill Gates was looking for money for his upstart business, "Microsoft" and offer to make a BIG investment. Or, he'd like to go back in time and buy some stock with the ultimate stock tip.

Afton
I discussed several possibilities but liked the idea of going back in time to September 10, 2001 and trying to stop the terrorist attacks. I figure that most people I talked to would think I was crazy and would ignore whatever warnings I would voice. And of course there is the whole issue of the impossibility of getting an appointment with the President of the United States.

I finally decided that my best chance of stopping the attacks would be to approach people who got on those planes and give them some kind of weapon that would get through security so they would be able to gain some kind of power over the terrorists. Maybe they could convince the pilots to lock the cockpit door while they're at it.

Ethan
He wanted to go back to when Stonehenge was being built and find out the REAL reason for its existence. While he's at it, he will find out how the Druids moved those heavy stones into to place. Then when he's comes back he's going to release his findings to the world and become famous.

Jonah
Jonah would like to go back in time to when he was a baby, before he picked all the batting out of his blanket and tell himself NOT to pick out the batting. He would save his blanket.

Isaac
In the spirit of compassion and generosity, Isaac would also go back to the day that Jonah started picking apart his blanket and try and convince baby Jonah not to do that so the blanket would be spared and full of fluff to this day.

What day in history would you choose?

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Actually, if I had a time machine I think I'd go to the future! I'd like to see what future me is like and talk with her so she can tell me how to live my life better!

I loved your kids comments though!

Anonymous said...

Crap! I just wrote this on my blog and now I'm reading yours and finding the same thing!?!?!?! ARGH! I'm taking it down!

Anonymous said...

Double Arg! Now I need to think of something new to write. Give me a topic and then tell me to discuss.

Erika said...

I would want to go back in time to meet Nephi and his family, maybe travel with them a little in the wilderness, be there when Nephi returned with the brass plates, and see the liahona. But I wouldn't want to stay for very long--too hard--I'm a wimp, but I think it would be fun to also give Laman and Lemuel a piece of my mind!

I'd also love to go into the future like Debbie said, and see what it will be like so I can warn my kids and better prepare them for their life ahead.

Betty Grace said...

I think in prep for his homework assignment you should watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. "There's something strange afoot at the Circle K"

Afton said...

Angela, my next blog post was going to be about how Costco has authentic Dutch stroopwafels. Pretty exciting, but I'll let you write something about it if you want. I'll even take a picture of my giant box of stroopwafels and send it to you to use on your blog.

Stroopwafels!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what stroopwaffles are?!? You are crazy. No one reads my blog anyway so it doesn't matter. I'll have more to say tomorrow.

Afton said...

You may not know what stroopwafels are, but I can tell you are a big fan of the exclamation point slash question mark combo.

Now the stroopwafel story is mine, all mine!

Samurai Mom said...

I have been thinking for a few days and while the getting in on some good stock is a great idea, I am leaning toward the day we bought our house and we would have the deed and the siding issue figured out and insisted on a different title company.

Heather said...

I love the kids' comments, but also yours & Robert's were very good. :) Today, in particular, I think I would go back in time to when we purchased this stupid car on credit & NOT do that. (I'm having a depressed money day.)
On the upside, I'm listening to Christmas music--see my blog. :)