Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Almost

I had to give myself a little pat on the back today. I remembered! I remembered someone's birthday! I know, this is so unlike me.

The anomaly of me sending a well-timed birthday card is an array of tiny miracles all piled up on each other, the first of which is that I actually had a card to begin with.

I had a card and I set it out several days ago so as not to forget the special day. Then, today--two days before the special event--I actually filled out the card. Filled with genuine, sincere, well-thought-out sentiments it was.

Having and filling out a birthday card is a good start, but the real test was to see if I could get the card into the mail box on the appropriate day, before the mail lady came for pick up. I'll be the first to admit my astonishment that I actually did this.

I was pretty proud of myself. No one was more deserving of birthday greetings than my intended recipient. (Well OK, there are plenty of deserving people, but is the most deserving person that was born on October 16, that I know personally.)

You can imagine my surprise and utter disappointment, then, when I went to pick up my delivered mail today and found, in my box, the very birthday card I'd so lovingly sent.

What the...?

Did I not address it correctly? I know it's been a while since I sent a card, but I didn't think I'd forgotten how to address a card.

No, the address was correct. The problem was this...

At least our mail lady was kind enough to leave that encouraging little smiley face. Or is that a laughing face?

Anyway, this just goes to show that pride does indeed go before the fall. And if you are reading this and recognize yourself as the potential recipient of a birthday card, it should be there a day or two late.

That is if I can remember to stamp it and put it in the mail box before 11 am tomorrow. Otherwise you might want to give me a few more days.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

In portland I'd gotten into the habit of mailing things from work...because our wonderful people who work in the front office would just add the extra postage from my stamps that were 2 years old and not say a word! Or add a stamp if one was missing! :) Now that's a good friend!

Now, my friend, you still are not utilizing facebook! The birthday calendar OR the home page has birthday reminders ;)

Erika said...

Love the smiley face! You gave me a good chuckle to get my day going!

Emily said...

I am so laughing right now! All my stamps are ancient so I would have to double up! Thanks, for making my day!

Heather said...

Hmmm...I have a feeling...