Friday, October 3, 2008

A Treasure Hunt

I'm a little hesitant to post TWICE in one day. I feel I have a responsibility not to overwhelm you all with the many amazing things I have to say.

But, I'm breaking my rule because I had so much fun at Goodwill today. I was only there for a short time because Isaac was with me and while he is an excellent shopping buddy, I didn't want to push my luck and wear him out. Also, I didn't use a cart and so I couldn't carry a whole lot of stuff.

I went in to Goodwill just for some porcelain teacups and saucers. I'm doing a project! (More on that later...) On my way to "Dishware" I passed "Children's Coats." A great looking Columbia jacket caught my attention. It was in really, REALLY good shape and it was Columbia! For $13! I grabbed it even though the size was 14-16. Ethan can grow into it.

Next to the teacups. A nice little selection and I found exactly what I wanted. Mission accomplished...or was it?

I couldn't leave Goodwill with out browsing the books. (Well, that and paying for my stuff.) I used to peruse only the grown up books, but last time discovered many great offerings in the kids book section. I found "Crispin" by Avi (a Newbery Medal Book) and also by Avi, "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle," a Newbery Honor book.

I wasn't sure about the Charlotte Doyle book because you know what they say about boys reading books about girls. I thought it sounded interesting enough and maybe I could sneak-read it to the kids and get them hooked before they realize that a girl is the main character.

Buying awesome $13 coats and Newbery books for $2 and $3 makes me really happy. Projects with teacups make me happy too...but more on that later.

6 comments:

Senia said...

I am very curious to hear about the tea cup project!! Have fun at the beach! Are you staying at RaAnne's, or what did you figure out?

Heather said...

Sounds very cool! I will have to take a trip to the Goodwill sometime to take stock. ;) That tea cup project is peaking my interest, too. (Senia & I must have the sister vibe.)
Also, have you read "I Capture the Castle" before, or is this a second reading? I love that book! :)

Afton said...

This is my first time reading I Capture the Castle and I'm enjoying it a lot.

The tea cup project will have to remain secret for just a little bit longer. But, have no fear...I will tell all in a few weeks.

It's probably not as exciting as my secrecy is making it, so don't feel too curious. One thing I will say: It's not this http://www.craftathome.com/Instructional/teacupsaucerlamp.html

Thank goodness!

Debbie said...

I'm so glad it's not the tea cup and saucer lamp! I'd seriously worry about you! :)

Emily said...

I got all my kids halloween stuff at goodwill and a great skirt for Maddy. They have way better stuff than DI!

Afton said...

Way better than DI. Plus, who wants to drive all the way over to DI? I did hear that they were thinking about building a 2nd DI on this side of town. I'd definitely check it out, but after seeing some of the stuff that goes into the trailer...I wouldn't have high expectations.