Saturday, January 8, 2011

Don't Fence Me In


Ethan has been fencing once a week since September. He really enjoys it and the club is wonderful. Great owners, teachers and parents. It's the type of thing you could easily sink a bunch of money into if you were so inclined. I'm not, but not because I don't think fencing is a great sport for Ethan to participate in.

See, I also want to help him go to college. And I think it would be fair to also offer the same thing to the other two kids. Plus, there's braces, and did I mention those two other kids? Those two other kids like to do things also. They like to play basketball and baseball and they take swimming lessons in the summer. All of which costs more money.

Good news though--some universities offer fencing scholarships. This is where my checkbook starts coming out. I'd be willing to invest a little moolah in the chance that Ethan could get a full ride scholarship to college. Here are just a few of the universities with division 1 fencing teams: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke, Cornell, Columbia, Penn State, Stanford, Notre Dame.

I don't want to seem like a mom who's down on her kids, but at this point, I don't really see Ethan getting in to any of those universities. Even if he was a world class fencer. Because I can almost guarantee there will be other world class fencers who also have good grades.

But, you never know...

Last week Ethan brought his Flip camera and a tripod to practice so he could watch how he fences and try to improve. I'm not sure how much he's watching the video critically and how much he's watching it with this in mind.

But, you never know.

No comments: