Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Summer Craft #3

I was going to have the kids make glycerin soap from a kit for our third summer craft, but the the Family Fun magazine came in the mail. This month's issue had a cute craft for tin can stilts. Actually, the only crafty part was having the kids paint the outsides of the cans.

The Family Fun directions suggest using acrylic paint and star shaped sponges to create a festive red, white and blue star pattern. I didn't have acrylic paint or star shaped sponges and didn't want to buy any, so I just used what we had on hand, which wasn't as fancy, but the kids still enjoyed painting. (I know the cans don't look painted, but trust me, they are.)

I bought and drained 4, 29 ounce cans of tomato sauce to do this craft. Does anyone have recipes that require lots and lots of tomato sauce...besides spaghetti?
The boys actually spent longer painting the cans than they did walking on them. That's not to say they didn't have a fun time walking on their stilts. It just got old quickly I suppose.

As a side note (to be used later in my Power Point "Awesome Summer So Stop Complaining" slide show): I suggested walking down to the water fountain with a picnic lunch today and letting the boys run through the fountain. They all said NO!

1 comment:

Betty Grace said...

You are so motivated!