Friday, July 4, 2008

Buying Fireworks

How I buy fireworks...
I go to the fireworks stand. I have an idea of how much money I want to spend. I find the multi-pack of fireworks for about that price, buy it, get in the car and go home.

How Robert buys fireworks...
He goes to the fireworks stand. He has an idea of how much he wants to spend. It is not based in reality. He sees the multi pack of fireworks and notices that it is crammed with all kinds of worthless filler. He looks at the "open stock" fireworks and reads the description of what each firework does (i.e. 1 minute 14 seconds of gold sparks followed by 33 seconds of silver bursts ending with an ear splitting whistle).

He will spend the next 30 minutes studying and gathering up fancy looking fireworks like "The Pink Diamond" and "Blue Planet" until he feels like he has enough for a good show. Then he will grab a bunch of extra stuff for the kids like sparklers, poppers, flowers, tanks that shoot things and smoke bombs.

The price of the fireworks ends up being about double what I would have spent, but it's ok because that is all we are buying. We are not going back to get more, we have what we need. Unless, of course, a particular firework is so fantastic that we need another one or two, and we run out of sparklers, tanks, poppers, smoke bombs and flowers. And we always run out of sparklers, tanks, poppers, smoke bombs and flowers.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

HA HA, that's hilarious, and exactly how it is in my house as well!

Melissa said...

LOL! It sounds like our husbands have similar ideas about fireworks (does this apply to grocery shopping, as well, for your husband?) This is why I never let my husband go to buy fireworks unsupervised! :)