Friday, August 22, 2008

Like, Annoying

I've noticed an annoying trend with the kiddos. That is, the abundant interjection of the word, "like" in all of their conversations. I probably wouldn't have picked up on it, but Isaac in particular is a big "like" user.

When excitedly explaining something, he might include 4 or 5 "likes" right in a row, in machine-gun-like staccato.

Then, around 3am the other morning Ethan started talking in his sleep. All he said was "like" about ten times. (I was listening eagerly for him to come to a point, but he never did.)

It makes me wonder where they could have possibly picked up this little habit. It must be TV, because there is like no way it was from me.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Hi Afton-you don't know me, but I got linked to your blog off my sister's (she's friends with your sister I think?) I've enjoyed reading your posts! The cherry one was a hoot. Anyway, I'm curious how you like living in Oregon. I grew up in CA and miss the coast, and Oregon has always been appealing to me-we're looking into OHSU med. school in Portland. Anyway, just curious! You can find me at my blog erikaandryan.blogspot.com

Mandy said...

That's like the cutest story, like I've ever heard. How are these kids like talking like this, it's like really annoying and like driving me insane as well... like geez...

Gwen said...

"Like" is all over BYU. Maybe in the 90's all TV characters started using it and that's where we picked it up. Sometimes Baxter and I catch each other using "like" too much. Now a lot of conversations in class start with, "Like, you know the constitution is so, like..."