Sunday, August 31, 2008

In Which the Signs of Insanity Start to Emerge

I accidentally planted 2 cherry tomato plants this year instead of one. I thought the "sun glow" variety of orange, sweet tomato was a regular-sized tomato instead of cherry-sized.

As a result, we have cherry tomatoes coming out of our ears. All of the neighbors have had tomatoes bestowed upon them and a bag of tomatoes has made its way to the in-laws.

Our harvest has been so bountiful, I finally decided to do the unthinkable.

At least it was unthinkable until my good buddy Andrea told me how blissfully easy it was to "can" cherry tomatoes.

So I canned cherry tomatoes and while it was easy, it was also tedious and the result was 6 pints of cherry tomatoes (one which did not seal) which look so pathetic, I'm not even going to post a picture.

Good news: I pretty much cleaned out the 2 cherry tomato bushes, at least until the next 4 thousand tomatoes have had a chance to ripen. Also, I feel very noble for saving all those cherry tomatoes and not leaving them to rot in obscurity in a dark place under the tomato bush.

I'm like, Champion of the Cherry Tomato or something, don't you think?

1 comment:

Erika said...

Too funny! You have such a way with words. I didn't know you could can them-learn something new everyday!