Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things I'm Looking Forward To

Strawberries
I've been talking with a friend about strawberries. More specifically we've been talking about the berry lady who organizes a huge order of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and Marionberries every spring/summer. The berries come in big and small buckets and in the case of the strawberries, are hulled and sliced and ready for any kind of strawberry preservation project you might have in mind.

In June I'm going to make strawberry jam and strawberry fruit leather.

The Father Son Camp-out
I'm starting to think of movies I can rent when all my boys are on the Father-Son Camp-out in May. Last year I rented "P.S. I Love You" which was horribly wonderful. Horrible because I cried through the whole thing and wonderful because there was no one else around to witness the embarrassing blubber-fest.

If you have any suggestions for good chick-flicks to watch on the night of the Father-Son Camp-out, please let me know.

"Silent on the Moor"
I believe March 9th is the day "Silent on the Moor" will be released and I'm already on the library's waiting list (3 out of 4!). Can't wait for the latest adventures of Lady Julia and Brisbane.

Hopefully it will be a dark and stormy day when I get the book.

My Garden
Next week I'm going to plant peas, broccoli and maybe chard if I can find some seeds. I am excited to think that in a short 65 days, we could be eating fresh peas and in 70, broccoli.

And don't forget my marigolds. They are doing splendidly! I am looking forward to the day, maybe in May, when I plant them all over our front and back yard.

14 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

I watched P.S. I Love You in the theatre and I started crying during the fight before the credits and I kept crying for the whole entire movie.

If you are looking for tear jerkers I watched Tomorrow May Never Come the other night and blubbered terribly. It will be good to watch it alone because the disco song sequence is so embarassing...

Erika said...

You're giving me spring fever! All these things sound so wonderful. Don't you love the anticipation of a new book coming out? I better hurry and request Silent on the Moor at my library! Although, I'm so antsy that I may just have to have it right away and end up buying it.

Some of my favorite chick flicks are The Lake House, Steel Magnolias, Ever After, What a Girl Wants, P&P, Sense & Sensibility, The Prince & Me (the first one only!), While You Were Sleeping, Runaway Bride, Strictly Ballroom and Somewhere in Time. I haven't seen any real recent ones, but Nights in Rodanthe is out. I liked the book...did you read it? Oh, and I really enjoyed Dan in Real Life--so funny!!!!!!

Afton said...

SM, that was my exact crying experience with "PS" too. From start to finish. I was an absolute mess by the end.

Thanks for your movie suggestions.

Erika, I've seen a few of the movies you listed and they are some of my all time favs. Haven't read Nights in Rodanthe yet...I'll have to add it to the list.

Angela Taylor said...

You have to see Mama Mia, I loved it! It's so super cheesy and great, it makes you want to get up and sing your heart out! (Mostly because most of us can sing better than Mery Streep.)

Betty Grace said...

Beaches?? :)

Commenting on your book listed at the right-- do you remember that movie, The Boy Who Could Fly? I hated that movie. :)

Did you ever see Lars and the Real Girl? I highly recommend it.

Betty Grace said...

Oh I agree with Angela. Mama Mia is a blast. Or one of my favs from a few years ago The Painted Veil. Oh my! Beautiful film. I am in love with Edward Norton. I remember watching it thinking I just wanted a man to look at me the way he looks at Naomi Watts in the movie. Plus the scenery is incredible.

Senia said...

Mmm! Strawberry Fruit Leather! Genius! I've been working on a Costco pack of fruit leathers, myself (transported all the way from WA, thank you very much!) :-)

Debbie said...

Do you always plant this early? I'm soooo impressed...

Let see, if I was there I'd be asking when you're going to plant your tomatoes so I could count down to when I could have your salsa again!

megan said...

SILENT IN THE MOOR IS OUT!!!! I got it from the library yesterday!!!

Erika said...

Thanks for commenting on my daughter's blog--you made her day. She thought she was pretty cool stuff.

Erika said...

I just thought of a REALLY good movie that I loved!! The Count of Monte Cristo (2002 version). I haven't read the book, but I thought the movie was exceptionally good and heard that the movie is better than the book (for once!). A favorite.

Afton said...

Thanks everyone for all your movie ideas! I knew you'd come through.

Marah said...

I echo a lot of Erika's movie suggestions:
Steel Magnolias
P&P (esp. good to watch w/o your fam around since it's 4 discs)(You know it's the A&E version with Colin Firth or nothing, right?)
Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson, what an amazing woman)
Emma (Gwyneth Paltrow)
Wives and Daughters
The Princess Bride
Little Women (Winona Ryder--brilliant)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Count of Monte Cristo is excellent, but you need to be forewarned about a scene in the beginning where a couple is skinny-dipping--backlit, no closeups, but not much left to the imagination.
Remains of the Day
Howard's End
IQ
Sabrina (the Harrison Ford version)
The Sting Not a chick flick, but there can be no distracting children around--you have got to pay attention to the fast-moving, brilliant plot.

I can loan you all of them but W&D, but some of my copies are VHS.

Marah said...

I would have mentioned the Pirate Movie, but it's embarassing to admit that I think it's funny.

So, chard from seed? I'm thinking I'd like to buy starts to try them out this year. Have you seen chard starts at Home Depot?