Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bombs Bursting in Air

I really took this picture. I know! I can't believe it either.

We forced the kids, complaining and sulking and whining, into the car and drove downtown to see Portland's fireworks display last night.

"Why are you making us do this?" They asked. "Can't you just leave me here? I don't want to go." We drove down the street just as friends and families around the neighborhood were getting set for their big street firework displays.

I have to admit, it's part of the Fourth of July celebration I love the most--sitting out with neighbors and chatting while the kids get absolutely freaked out with pyromania. Good times. I didn't really want to leave either.


But when the first blasts lit up the barge in the Willamette River as they rocketed into the sky, I was a not a little awe struck. It was super awesome. And loud. Moments before the fireworks started, we could hear the crowd who was watching from across the river at the Blues Festival at Tom McCall Waterfront Park start to cheer. I grabbed Isaac and lifted him up so he could see.

Not the best picture--Isaac and Jonah watch the fireworks

We arrived about 45 minutes before the show began and the East Bank Esplanade was packed. Somehow, we managed to worm our way in for a good viewing spot. On the way back to the car after the 30 minute show, the boys half-heartedly admitted that it was kind of cool and they were a little glad we came.

It only took us 50 minutes to get home, which is about 30 minutes longer than normal. I think we can check this off the bucket list and return to our humble street show with a Costco pack of fireworks next year.

1 comment:

megan said...

that is an incredible picture!!