Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Blossom Handbag

I have a million things I should be doing, but I decided to make this purse.

It all started when I needed $1.43 extra to get free shipping on an order at Amazon, so I bought this book. When the book arrived, I wasn't blown away by any of the purses, but I had a hankering to go look at fabric and thought that if any particular fabric really called out to me, I'd buy it and make a purse.

At JoAnn's, no particular fabric called out to me. But I bought some fabric anyway. But I wasn't going to make the purse right away, because I had so much to do.

Then, one night, I put in a movie and decided to cut out the pieces for a purse. But I wasn't going to make it for a long time. Just cut. The cutting took 4 hours. There were a lot of things to cut.

I guess you know the end of the story. Two days later, and I have made the purse. I used up all kinds of time I needed to be doing other things, but it was fun. And now I have a cute purse. It doesn't necessarily look like my style and I'm still not crazy about the fabric, and that zippered pouch was a pain in the butt to make, but not as much of a pain as sewing it into the purse.

I feel like I need a new outfit to go with it.

And I already bought fabric for the next bag. But I'm not going to start that one for a while. I really have so much to do.

If you want the pattern for the bag, it's offered online for free. I sure wish I'd known that before I paid for the book!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I LOVE the fabric! What don't you like about it? Not your style? And I'm very impressed with the zippered pouch and the coordinating inner fabric. Wow!

Afton said...

It seems a little too Vera Bradley for me. Not that there's anything wrong with Vera Bradley. I just wanted something that shouted, "original."