Monday, September 20, 2010

The Jell-o Project: The Game On! Gelled Salad Mold

I must give credit to my brother Jason for inspiring this latest Jell-o mold and my return to The Jell-o Project. Last week as part of the Game On! Diet I'm playing with my friends, siblings and their friends, Jason jokingly asked if flavorless, colorless, sugarless Jell-o might be OK to eat on the diet.

I replied that it would be, as long as you counted it as a protein and only had a palm sized serving. (I also might have mentioned something to him about ground up horse hooves, but we don't need to go into that here.) His mention of Jell-o got me thinking about what a Game On! worthy Jell-o salad might look like.

I can not vouch for the tastiness of the salad (pictured above), but I can guarantee it will not lose you any points in the diet by eating it, as long as you do so as one of your 5, approved meals.

Jason's Mold
1 pkg. plain gelatin
3/4 cup hot spinach water
1/4 cup water (room temp)
2 tsp diced celery
1 TB diced turkey bacon

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of water and let it dissolve for 3-5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of hot spinach water (left over from cooking spinach) and stir. Refrigerate for about an hour to thicken the gelatin. Add bits of celery and turkey bacon (kangaroo meat will work as well) to the thickened gelatin and spoon into a 1/2 cup mold and return to the fridge. Unmold on a lettuce leaf and serve to your Game On! opponents.

The possibilities for gelled Game On! salads are limited only by your imagination!

1 comment:

I-Shüan said...

Afton, that's nasty. But like they say about car accidents, it might make you sick to your stomach to look at it, but at the same time, you can't take your eyes off of it!

Did you try it? (For some reason this is reminding me of the cheese touch...)