1. The steady chug of the diesel engine drew closer, and eventually the salvage boat emerged from the mist, a blank grey shape steering a middle course between ghostly lines of chimney stacks that rose from the water.
2. Summer Goodman never knew what hit her.
3. Mom, Dad--if you're listening--you know I said I was going to the South Lakeland Outdoor Activity Center with the school?
4. My name is Kathy H.
5. I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have.
6. In the dim hovel, the mother clenched her body into one final, straining push, and the baby slithered out into Gaia's ready hands.
7. Wait a minute.
8. Jake Kincaid was known as the dowser.
9. It's only half an hour since someone--Robyn I think--said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.