Saturday, October 9, 2010

More First Lines

I have a stack of books to read that I've checked out from the library. If you had to choose which one to read based on the first line, which would you choose?

1. The steady chug of the diesel engine drew closer, and eventually the salvage boat emerged from the mist, a blank grey shape steering a middle course between ghostly lines of chimney stacks that rose from the water.

2. Summer Goodman never knew what hit her.

3. Mom, Dad--if you're listening--you know I said I was going to the South Lakeland Outdoor Activity Center with the school?

4. My name is Kathy H.

5. I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have.

6. In the dim hovel, the mother clenched her body into one final, straining push, and the baby slithered out into Gaia's ready hands.

7. Wait a minute.

8. Jake Kincaid was known as the dowser.

9. It's only half an hour since someone--Robyn I think--said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.

10. Escape.

12 comments:

Angela!! said...

I pick..."My name is Kathy H."

Erika said...

My first instinct was #10, maybe because that's just what I need to do, "escape". But if not that one, then #6--makes me want to know more about the mother, the baby, and who Gaia is.

Chelsea said...

first #10, then #5.

Samurai Mom said...

Escape, then Summer Goodman.

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Wait a minute. Or, second choice, #9.

Allyson said...

I liked #3 and #10.

Afton said...

Wait till y'all find out what #10 is! I'll list all the books tomorrow.

Betty Grace said...

You should analyze your friends personalities based on their answers.

Afton said...

And which one would you pick Betsy?

Anna said...

#5

a said...

two, seven, ten, and the book you are writing and will be publishing soon!