Monday, December 7, 2009

Thoughts at 1 AM

I woke up this morning at one am and was not able to get back to sleep until about 5. These are a few of the things that went through my mind.

Global Warming
What if the polar ice cap is really just a water supply for when the population of the world gets too big for our current water supply? It's activated by larger levels of methane gas and other emissions being released into the atmosphere. The water melts, the climate changes, it rains in Africa, the lakes and rivers rise and everyone gets more water. Except the people who lost their lives in the flood.

Star Trek
In the new Star Trek movie, when young James T. Kirk steals his stepfather's old Corvette and goes speeding across the Iowa landscape and somehow manages to find a cliff leading into a massive canyon (In Iowa!) he makes the car drift right over the cliff and then at the last possible moment, opens the door and jumps out. Great scene, but I am pretty sure the laws of physics would make it impossible for a small boy, under his own power, to exert enough force to propel himself away from a car moving at least 50 miles per hour in the other direction. I will have Robert do the math later.

Money
I found $400 without getting out of bed! I remembered that we could get reimbursed from our health savings account for the first installment of Ethan's braces. At this point I wanted to wake Robert up so badly. Then I thought about writing a note and leaving it for him on the bathroom mirror, but it was so cold last night I didn't want to get out of bed. Finally, I promised myself that I would remember to tell him when he woke up. I didn't.

Reading
I debated for a long time whether or not I should get up and read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon until I was tired enough to fall back asleep. I didn't want to get out of bed because it was cold, but I couldn't turn on a light because I'd certainly wake Robert up. I thought about using a flashlight to read under the covers but didn't know where a working flashlight was. Mental note: make sure there is always a working flashlight in my nightstand drawer.

Writing
Maybe I should write a book about a woman who lives 3 separate lives in 3 different alternate realities. In the first life she is married and has a loving relationship with her husband and a cute family. In the second she and her husband haven't met yet, but she knows about reality number one and so she tries to make herself known to him so they can get married and have the cute kids she knows they will have. Also, reality #2 is post apocalyptic. In reality number 3, the kids are there but not her husband. They are in trouble and she has to do something to save them and get them into reality #2. Also not sure what kind of process makes her involuntarily switch from reality to reality.

Compromised Scientists
Is there such a thing as scientific truth? Scientists are either paid by the government or corporations to get desired results. So they are all biased and the information we get is most likely skewed. Who can we trust? Maybe academic scientists!

4 comments:

Erika said...

I really want to see the new Star Trek. Now that it's on DVD I may have to pay a visit to Redbox. I heard it's super good.

I-Shüan said...

Your thoughts at 1am are much deeper than mine. Here are mine: "I can't sleep. I can't sleep. I wonder why I can't sleep. I can't sleep. I wonder when I'll fall asleep." Not nearly as much potential for greatness as discovering a positive result of global warming, or a triple-alternate reality story plot line.

shiguy4076 said...

No wonder you couldn't sleep those are some pretty serious thoughts to be having at 1am.

Betty Grace said...

I love this post!