Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Halloween Trick?

Robert took the kids out trick or treating tonight about 6:30. It is a lovely evening: no rain, no wind, not even very cold. And thanks to daylight savings, it’s not quite pitch black. I would venture to say this is the most enjoyable trick or treating evening we’ve had in the 10 years I’ve been paying attention to things like this.

About 20 minutes after the kids left a pack of cute pre-teen girls showed up on my doorstep. There was a chorus of “trick-or-treat” but one voice sounded different in a familiar sort of way. There in the middle of the group of 11 year old girls was a little cowboy. It was Isaac trick or treating his own house.

The girls turned, left and Isaac came in the house. I looked all over for Robert, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“Where’s Dad?” I asked Isaac.

“I don’t know, I lost him.”

Isaac claimed he was done trick or treating and sat down in the front room and started to eat his candy. I figured Robert would eventually figure out he’d lost his 3 year old son, so I went outside to watch for him running down the street. Sure enough, after a minute or so, I saw Robert. He double checked with Isaac to make sure he was actually finished trick or treating and went back to the other boys.

Wouldn’t you know it, 15 minutes later, Isaac was ready to trick or treat again. Robert had his phone so I called and luckily he was just across the street and a couple houses down.

Hopefully he will survive the night with out losing any more kids. Did I mention he’s one of two adults out with 6 boys? I think I got the better end of the bargain by hanging out at home, updating my blog, and jumping up to answer the door every few minutes.

No comments: