Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Risky Business

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a geek. As it turns out, I'm also a geek who plays it safe and doesn't like to take risks. Which is why you might not have known until right now how much of a geek I am. So, in a way, this post is a risk.

But it's OK.

You see, I'm on a risk-taking roll! Today I mailed in my application to live at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago for 30 days. If I win, I will get to live and sleep in the museum for 30 days all while writing about it and interacting with museum visitors during the day. How fun does that sound?

As part of the application, I had to make a 60 second video, write a 500 word essay and submit a 5x7 headshot. Oh how I wish I had some photo shop skills. The headshot, as it turned out, was the biggest risk I took. I ended up going for black and white so I didn't appear to have a strange facial rash.

And here's my 60 second video, which was too long, but I couldn't cut without sacrificing my artistic integrity.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Totally awesome! Loved the video, you risk taker you!

Erika said...

You're so good! You were fun to watch. So cool to see you in real person, well, sort of! Good luck and congratulations for taking such a risk.

Allyson said...

Loved it! Way to go Afton! So proud to be your sister! My votes for you! The whole time I was thinking, "no, don't sacrifice the Bill Nye VHS!!!" So glad you didn't pull it apart!

a said...

So, you can teach me or my kids anytime you want. You do a class, I am there! You want to read or write an article or a book, I will listen. Everything is more enjoyable with a little Afton stirred in! I would be happy to tell the museum to stop looking and know that in you they have more than they could dream of! Also, I am very glad you did not tear up Bill Nye. You think I could borrow it?
a

Senia said...

LOVE IT.

Samurai Mom said...

Afton,
that is amazing!

Shannah said...

Great video Afton!!! *crossing my fingers for you* I think you'd be a great pick to live in the museum. They would have a fun write up when it was over with!