Sunday, February 14, 2010

Coming out of Hibernation

This is the cozy den* I've been holed up in for the last 3 and a half months. It was filled with canned peaches and pears and salsa and pickles. It had an endless supply of books. There was a gas fireplace and warm blankets and lots of sugary treats. It was the perfect place to fall asleep listing to the patter of rain on my roof and windows.

Hibernation is good, but it can't last forever.

The time has come to wake up and face life and responsibility again. It's time to plant a few things in the garden: peas, broccoli raab, beets, lettuce. There are weeds that need pulling and pretty flower blooms that need admiring.

Mostly, though, it's time to get moving.

Because I can't afford to buy all new clothes in a bigger size. Nor do I want to.

Hibernation sure was fun while it lasted.

*an approximate representation of my actual den.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

That looks like a very cozy den. Not being an avid gardener, I have to ask--really? You can plant things in February?

Heather said...

That's what I want to know, too--is it really time to plant those veggies? I guess we need to get moving too, then...

Afton said...

Yes, we can start planting root veggies and peas and lettuce now. Any cool weather crop does great. We are usually passed the chance of getting a hard frost after Pres. Day.

Erika said...

I know what you mean. Time for me to stop hiding out and get with the program. No more daily doses of chocolate. I haven't exercised for months now. Pretty pathetic. I guess it's time to get off my duff and start taking care of myself!

Emily said...

Do I have to? Let's face it, one week of sun in February kicks our hinies into gear. I'm thinking about walking to pick up my kid from Kindergarten, planting peas and spinach and working in the yard. It's impossible to sleep in with such a gorgeous sky staring at you...my den is getting pretty dirty and frumpy anyway right?