Thursday, January 28, 2010

And That's How Trifle Was Invented

Other than one big, sad thing, I had a lovely birthday yesterday. I made my cake and thought that a raspberry filling would be delish. Unfortunately, I added too much and when I frosted the rest of the cake it oozed out the middle and the top of the cake started sliding off. It was a mess, but a delicious mess.

Looking at this cake last night, and again this morning (now that it's completely fallen apart), I totally get the inspiration behind trifle. Another flash of insight: my cake plate, turned upside down, becomes a trifle dish. Hmm.

A friend dropped off a fun gift bag filled with all kinds of goodies including this bacon dark chocolate bar. Bacon! (it's yummy!)

Later, Robert and the boys surprised me with some gifts they'd bought for me. Normally, I would have not expected the boys to buy me anything, but after an educational Christmas, I decided the kids needed to learn the joy of giving. So I asked Robert to take them all to Fred Meyer, give them a few bucks with the stipulation that it had to be spent on me.

The boys were super eager to give me their gifts and I provided a 100% genuine response of glee and giddiness upon opening them. It was so sweet to see the little things they picked out for me.

Robert got me an iPod dock a few weeks back, so I didn't expect throw pillows for our bed with our initials on them!! I hesitate to tell you how awesome I think these pillows are for fear of sounding sarcastic. But I'm completely sincere when I tell you these pillows bring me so much joy. Just the thought of Robert choosing throw pillows...and they've got our initials! Oh, this will keep me happy for years!

Isaac, I was told, spent the most time choosing the giant Hershey Kiss and spa bath packets. I soon realized Isaac's motivation behind the giant Hershey Kiss when this morning he told me that it was so big, I'd probably need to share it with him. He's probably right.

Jonah got me the Jelly Bellies, right away asking if there were any in the bag that I didn't like and that he would happily take the undesirables off my hands. He also chose this nifty little back massage doohicky. Fun! I asked him if he would use it on my back every day this week. He said, "No, I have homework."

Ethan got me the iTunes gift card and said, "See? Money."

Oh, so that's how it's done. Well, I will have to remember this for next December.

12 comments:

Keira said...

And now I know what side of the bed you sleep on...;0)

Afton said...

mom always has to sleep closest to the door.

Janice said...

wow, you did have a good birthday. I for one love raspberry filling and so what if it looks bad, I'll bet it tasted delicious! And I love your throw pillows and that your husband thought of such a sentimental and personalized gift all on his own. He deserves extra points for that one;)

Senia said...

As you know, I am a huge fan of trifles (read: dessert flops). Sounds like you had a good day! I am very impressed by the throw pills from Robert! And I HAVE to find that dark choc. bacon bar and try it!

Natalie said...

I love your take on how trifle was invented. I'm always game for a good trifle, and by the way, your cake does look delish.

Erika said...

Your cake is making my mouth water! Yum. Happy Birthday. Those pillows are awesome. I'd be thrilled too if my hubby bought me something that thoughtful. I usually end up buying my own presents.

Emily said...

I'll eat the cake, the bacon bar, the junior mints and the jelly bellies! ;) I love the idea of giving the kids money and having them pick something out. I'm going to try that for my birthday this year.

Debbie said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday and that you got spoiled by your family! :) It's well deserved!

Debbie said...

Oh yeah, and I too have had mishaps with cakes turn into trifles so I completely agree that is how and why they were invented! They often turn into even better trifle's than their original cake! :)

Angela Taylor said...

I'm dying to know, how was the bacon chocolate candy bar? Seems a little wierd to me. And yea for the trifle! Sometimes you don't need a pretty cake, just something that will taste just as good!

Allyson said...

The bacon bar looks so good! I had heard that this was being served at the state fairs, chocolate dipped and coated in sea salt. I bet it is good! I like the pillows, what a great idea and it sounds like it was a home run - way to go Robert! Can I have the buttered popcorn jelly bellies?

Marah said...

Sounds like you had a great day! I'm so glad. You deserve one.