Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Meet Jacob


This is Jacob, Ethan's hamster. Ethan came up with the name and I'm not sure what inspired it. Jacob is nocturnal but has been pretty gracious about being woken up several times through out the day to entertain us in any number of ways. Mostly, we make him run around the house in this little ball. It's a torture I'm sure is covered somewhere in the Geneva Convention.

Here are two things I never, ever wanted to hear in my life, but that have now been uttered in my presence since getting this hamster:

#1 "Eww, the hamster just pooped on me. Eww! Now the poop fell on the floor and Isaac stepped in it."

#2 "Mom can you make a teeny hamster Halloween costume?"

And here is something I will admit, but if you breathe a word of this to anyone, I can not guarantee your personal safety: At night, before I go to bed, I sneak into Ethan's room (creepy-mom style a la "I'll Love You Forever") and check out little Jacob running away on his wheel like he's late for is own wedding. He will run and run and run, then jump off the wheel, run through the toilet paper tube, climb up on the salt lick, jump in his food dish, and head right back to the wheel and start the whole process over again. It's pretty cute, but reminds me of my day and why I'm so tired.

And finally, here is a hamster fact. According to my diligent fact-checking (verified by 2 different websites) a hamster runs around 5 miles a night on his wheel. Crazy!

No comments: