Monday, August 20, 2007

Summer of the Green Tomato

I don't know what is going on in Portland this summer. The weather has been almost apocalyptic. While we've had a few classic, hot summer days, the majority of our summer has been cool. We've had more clouds and rain than I remember from any of the 10 summers I've spent in Portland so far.

Our garden currently contains lots of lush green but not a lot of fruit. In the past, we've had ripe tomatoes by the end of July as well as fist fulls of fresh green beans. This year, we have yet to harvest one green bean or one red tomato. Our cantaloupe has plenty of little, baseball-sized baby melons, but they are hard and green and far from being ready to eat.


I wonder if it's time to start hoarding canned foods and stockpiling blankets and firewood. At the very least, I'm going to consider a cold frame for next spring so our garden can have a head start and produce a little earlier.

No comments: