Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer: A Preemptive Strike

The Science Box 
If I learned anything from Steven Covey, it's how to be proactive. I can forsee problems and plan to meet them head on. In anticipation of the daily summer refrain, "I'm bored," I created the Science Box.

Using the book, Totally Irresponsible Science, I made a list of supplies needed for nearly every single experiment and gathered them together in one box. When the kids complained of boredom, I planned to direct them to the box (which is kept outside) and let them have at it.

I know. I'm brilliant.

Best of all, my supply of baking soda and vinegar would go untouched because the kids would have their very own.

My Science Box includes the following items:

Empty milk jug (not pictured)
paper towels
empty paper towel tube
plastic spoons
rubber gloves
rubber bands
plastic cups
old CD's
a funnel
salt and pepper
aluminum pie tins
zip top bags
construction paper
bamboo skewers
balloons
ping pong ball
twine
2 votive candles
baking soda
vinegar
bubbles
empty film canisters
corn starch
food coloring
white glue
thumb tacks
tape
rulers
dish soap

I'm still trying to gather a few more supplies, like 6% hydrogen peroxide. It's kind of hard to find. I'm also interested in some silly putty and black iron oxide for this cool substance. And magnets. I need some magnets.

However, when I showed the kids what I'd assembled, the reaction was not worthy of the effort I'd put forth creating the Science Kit. Ethan said, "We've already done all the experiments in that book. I want to make a Soda Bottle Rocket Launcher instead. 

So, on the first day of summer break, after a trip to Home Depot for a few supplies, Ethan made his own soda bottle rocket launcher. The man who helped us find everything at Home Depot said he'd already helped about nine other kids find supplies for the same project that day.



So, summer begins. I've got my stack of books and my boys have all the tools they need to play and be creative. 

Jonah and Isaac are outside now, digging into the Science Box, so I guess it wasn't all for nothing.

*update - the first project they chose required a styrofoam block; one of the few things I didn't get into the box. Figures.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

I'm totally impressed with your box! You should totally sell them on ebay and I bet it would be a huge hit! The soda bottle rocket looks like a lot of fun. I'll have to figure out what's involved.

Heather said...

My comment to Jonah & Isaac's choice: "Of course." (Said in the ironic monotone voice of Stanley when his plastic fork breaks on a steak.)