Thursday, April 12, 2012

Work

Someone asked me a few weeks back if I worked.

"I'm just a stay-at-home mom," I replied. And while I know we stay-at-home-moms are not supposed to say "just," I said it anyway. Because sometimes, that's how I feel. I think it's well established that being a full-time mom is a big, thankless job. Can you imagine a job that would require you to care for sick people when you, yourself are sick?

A moment after I answered this person's question, however, I realized that I actually do work. For money. It's just not a lot of money, but I do things. I rattled off a few of those things, and later that day, I realized I'd left a few off the list.

Then this morning, when I realized a deadline was coming up, I realized one more thing I do.

So, mostly for myself, I'm listing them here so I will remember all the jobs I have (besides mother, of course, which is the hardest and most rewarding of all my jobs.)

Job Title Pending - I work for reliefsocietygifts.com taking orders, doing data entry, customer service, packing and shipping and keeping records updated.

Proofreader - I proofread Vancouver Family Magazine monthly.

Writer - I write a monthly book review column for Vancouver Family Magazine.

Tutor - I tutor several students in writing.

Freelance Writer - I sometimes write articles for magazines, like The New Era, and Vancouver Family Magazine.

There are also several unpaid, non-mom jobs I do:

Young Women's Presidency 2nd Counselor - I work with the 12 and 13 year old girls at church and help them learn leadership skills and also develop spiritually. We work together on goal setting, and once a week we have an activity that I help plan and carry out. I attend leadership and planning meetings regularly.

Art Literacy Volunteer - I receive training on a different artist four times a school year, then present an informational slide show to two classes and lead them in an art project.

Out of all these jobs, being a stay-at-home mom is my favorite and I'm very blessed to be able to have that job.

1 comment: