Sunday, April 15, 2012

In Which I Begin to Feel Like Dr. Frankenstein

I've never read the book, but am nevertheless, understanding the great terror that comes from creating a monster. Because like Dr. Frankenstein, I've created a monster. Well, three monsters to be specific.

I knew I was creating monsters when I showed my boys this video. It's eleven minutes long, but a sweet, fun story about a little boy. Watch it.*


Caine's Arcade from Nirvan Mullick on Vimeo.

Now watch my boys' response, which is under a minute:


That was Friday. Today is Sunday and boxes are disappearing. First it was the recycling bin that was raided. Then it was my drawers. I'm finding stacks of zip lock bags sans box, next to the boxless roll of Saran Wrap.

They are wielding Xact-o knives and running through rolls of tape like it was Kleenex during cold and flu season.

There are bits of cardboard everywhere and I'm starting to suspect they missed the part of Cain's video where he cleans up.

It's getting to the point where I can't beat them. But I don't plan on joining them. I plan on curling up in my room and reading a book.

*Cain hangs out at his dad's used auto parts store and creates a complex cardboard arcade. He spends his days waiting for customers who never come. Until one day . . . 

No comments: