Thursday, September 3, 2009

What I Did This Summer: Visited the Portland Art Museum

I thought the boys, especially Ethan and Jonah, would be interested in seeing the MC Escher exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. And I was right! They were interested...for 10 minutes.

The rest of the hour we spent looking at Escher's amazing artwork was heavy with whining, complaining, and yes, even 2 episodes of collapsing to the floor (Jonah, not me).

I tried to get Jonah, a self-proclaimed future artist, to see the beauty in the art and to explain to him how Escher made his famous prints. I did not know they were woodcuts!! Fascinating!

Luckily there was an interactive computer display with a game controller that Ethan and Jonah essentially monopolized while I studied the details of each piece.

Ethan kept pestering me to come and play the game and I kept pestering him to come and look at the art. Finally I realized we just needed to let each other alone to do what the other wanted to do.

We got a few items from the Safeway deli for lunch and ate in the Park Blocks before heading home. It was a lovely day and I again wished I was a little more urban.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I miss Safeway. Their bakery rocks. I used to be in love with their cherry strudel (they also had a pineapple/cheese one that was heaven) and their fresh sourdough rounds. Yum!! Can't find anything quite like it here.