Monday, June 15, 2009

Getting Kids to Eat Their Vegetables

I caught my picky eater, who has recently only wanted to eat anything that was a "nugget" or french fries, wandering around the backyard with a snack in his shirt pocket.

Yes, he really ate the peas. He loves them.

What's great about having pea plants in the back yard is that the kids can get their own snack while they are playing instead of coming inside the house to beg for it.

Any time I can eliminate the begging, it's a good thing.

Eliminating the constant in and out has also made me a happy mom.

As far as I'm concerned, the kids can eat peas all day if they want. I planted more than enough for our family, so the neighbor kids are welcome to snack too.

The only drawback is all the empty pea pods littering the ground, the garage, the lawn and sometimes the kitchen floor and family room carpet. I even found one in the dryer after it made it's way through the wash. Even though I've presented no less than 3 pea pod disposal options, I am still finding pods all over the place.

It's a small price to pay, however, to get my kids to eat their vegetables.

5 comments:

Emily said...

My kids are "stealing" the strawberries out of the garden. The peas aren't out yet, but they asked if they could dig up the potatoes today...hehe!

Erika said...

What a cute picture. Love the pea pods in the washer.

Angela Taylor said...

The other day Dylan asked if he could have carrots for a snack. I was like "Heck ya my friend!" Did I mention he likes to dip them in hummus?

Heather said...

That's so funny! At first I thought those were asparagus spears in his pocket. Too cute! :)

Debbie said...

I love this photo! So cute! :)