Monday, May 14, 2007

The Pet No. 4

When logic fails....

Jonah giggled, “That sounds like fun!” he said.

I’d gone too far. I’d made the giant’s capture sound like fun and I knew I was losing ground quickly. It was time to pull out my trump card.

“Jonah, get the bug out of the house right now,” I demanded.

“Why?” Jonah pleaded, “He’s my pet!”

I knew I was going to hate myself in the morning, so to speak, but I had to get the bug out of the house and was tired of trying to reason with a 4 year old. “Because I said so!” I said with as much authority as I could muster. I should have just said, because Grammy said so, which would definitely have been more convincing, but my mom was over 1000 miles and I was on my own.

“Mom!” Jonah protested.

“Just get it outside please,” and added “right now.”

“With a perfect four year old “huff,” Jonah resigned himself to his task and headed for the door. Even has I finally bid good-riddance to the bug, I understood that the next time, and there would be a next time, Jonah wouldn’t ask permission to bring a pet in the house, he’d just do it.

No comments: