Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Anatomy According to Jonah

The other day, Jonah had sticky hands that were desperately in need of a good washing. While he was cleaning up at the bathroom sink, he let out a frustrated cry. "I can't get the corner tips. They're still sticky!"

Had I heard him right? If not, it wouldn't be the first time I had no idea what my kids were saying. I joined him at the bathroom sink to offer my help. "Now, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I can't get the corner tips." Jonah demonstrated by interlacing his fingers and rubbing them back and forth under the water.

"What are corner tips Jonah?" I asked. Jonah pointed to the base of his fingers, right where one finger started becoming the next. Suddenly it became clear. Corner tips were the opposite of finger tips (see illustration above). Clever Jonah!


2 comments:

Catherine said...

That's clever. I never knew what that part was called. Corner tip is a lot nicer sounding than "between the fingers."

Query-A-Day said...

That is very cute. Kids are great like that, so brilliant without even knowing. I got the link to your blog off Lee's links. Fun. I'll have to stop back.