Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Hidden Message in "The Lego Movie"

When I heard Fandango's Harry Medved, on the radio, say The Lego Movie was going into its third week as the number one movie, I knew it was because there was probably a secret agenda that was being promoted that everyone who loved the movie was just too confused to recognize. So I decided to see it for myself, uncover the secret agenda, and publicize it to the world. You're welcome.

I shamefully admit that I loved The Lego Movie. But right away, the secret agenda became as clear as Kragle oozing from its tube. The Lego Movie secret hidden agenda message promotes dangerous experimental animal hybridization. I believe they are doing this to normalize experimental animal hybrids and confuse the upcoming generation into thinking animal hybrids are acceptable.

In The Lego Movie, animal hybrid UniKitty is presented as an adorable, big-eyed cross between a unicorn and a kitty. UniKitty is fun and up for any adventure, but it quickly becomes obvious something is not right with UniKitty. Bubbling beneath UniKitty's sweet-as pie personality is dark violence, a trait that is neither present in the majestic unicorn or the independent, but clever kitty.

Taking things one step further, the movie portrays UniKitty's dark, Berserker-like violence in a positive, almost heroic light. If there is one thing kids do not need mainstreamed, it's the idea that going berserk is okay.

In real life, the kind of animal hybridization that created UniKitty would be considered abuse and never tolerated. There would be protests, sit-ins and PETA would throw blood on people! Yet small children, unable to understand the difference between fantasy and reality, will most likely attempt their own hybridization experiments. Before we know it, the world will be overrun with CatDogs, HamsterBunnies, and GeckoGoldfish. Admittedly, HamsterBunnies (patent pending) would be irresistible. But what evil leaning lies beneath the surface of the cuddly HamsterBunny?

HamsterBunny (Patent Pending)

I don't think the world is ready for the answer.

I also have issues with The Lego Movie's hidden secret message that Batman is suitable boyfriend material, the promotion of the "old blind men with long beards are wise" stereotype, and the mainstreaming of cat memes. I will save those arguments for another time.

10 comments:

Anna said...

I love this! I'll make sure I watch out for that when I watch the movie. Thanks for prescreening.

Andrea said...

I Didn't want to see the movie. Now I'm dying to! And Natasha and SArafina say thanks for sticking up for kitty's!

I-Shüan said...

Your theory may be true, but you know what they say: Everything is AWESOME! (The only way I can get that song out of my head is to sing "Let It Go".)

Anonymous said...

Oh come ON!!!! It's just a fun kid's movie! Why are people over-analyzing this? They just wanted to have a cute, happy character! Seriously? Animal hybridization? Are you kidding? How did you get that message? And the whole "going berserk is never okay" thing? I really don't think kids are going to get that message! Why on earth would you think that kids are going to try and go on a rampage? And Seriously, you thought that kids were going to try and MAKE HYBRID ANIMALS?!!?! Have you ever even met a kid? Kids may be easy to entertain, but they are NOT STUPID!!! No kid would pick up any of these "themes" that you have made up! The only reason they did this is that it's funny when a cute character goes all out mad! And I thought you were a mom... Apparently you've never met a kid before. This is so STUPID!!!!

Anonymous said...

Patent pending?!! It's my idea! It took me weeks of listening to my mom say, "I will not steer your ship!" until I came up with it!!! You can't have it!!! Besides, you can't patent Hamsterbunnies unless you've got one in hand!!! I know - I've been working on it for my school project and the patent office was so unhelpful!! Wouldn't protect my idea until I could produce one! Why?!! Because I'm a kid?!! And I'm NOT STUPID!!! But so far, the bunny and hamster just roam around the cage drinking and occasionally eating food! They totally ignore each other! It's like I put my parents in there!!!! How long is this supposed to take?!! IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!!!! I'm about to hurl the whole cage out into the street and use it for a skateboard ramp!!!

Burke Padbury said...

Tic...tic...tic....
Unikitty was stupid. Batman was awesome. What's with all the...passion...over Legos? (Full disclosure - my son has purchased a number of 5' tall glass curio-cabinets with his own $:from IKEA and placed them around his room to display his Lego creations and keep our cats from decapitating the Emmets.) That having been said - You people are all crazy.

Queasy Kitty said...

WTF IS GOING ON HERE I THINK UNIKITTY IS ADORBS

Anonymous said...

Another butthurt white mom without anything to do with their life i swear to god

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I'll have to disagree with this one. The Lego Movie, as analyzed by professional film critics, is one of the deepest childrens films to have been made. It's about order and a childs mind, and the governments agenda has nothing to do with animal hybridization. Unikitty is portrayed as a loyal character, showing that comic relief and serious characters can be combined into one character. Not only this, but unikitty is a small part of the movie and her hybridness isn't detailed at all in the actual dialogue.

Anonymous said...

animal hybridization by children? your an idiot