And then we found black mold. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's a before and after . . .
I started off by covering up the apple green wall paint--which honestly did not look as migraine-inducing in real life--with a couple coats of primer. I then added a coat of "white clay"to create a neutral palate with which to work.
When the mold was discovered, the toilet came out and the floor was pulled up to assess the damage. Two professional opinions later, we found that the mold was limited and treatable, but the wet subfloor required that a rental fan run for about three days straight. That wasn't loud at all.
You might also notice in this picture that I primed the vanity. The doors and drawers had been removed previously and were also being primed for a new color of paint.
Two coats of black paint later, things are starting to come together. My precious light fixture arrived, as well as the toilet paper roll holder and new faucet, all in brushed nickel. My next task: get Robert to install them all.
Lights up, faucet installed . . . and did I mention new hardware for the cupboard doors and drawers? I got new towels and some Doctor Who art for the walls and a shower curtain.
But my favorite thing has to be the mirror frame. I purchased this on-line at some place that specializes in frames for mirrors. I just entered my measurements, answered a few more questions, paid the small fortune they asked for, and a week to ten days later, a box arrived with all of the parts and instructions for easy assembly and installation.
At this point in the process, however, I was still waiting for the floor and toilet as well as a few other things.
Today, one month and four days after starting this project, I can say we are 99% done! The toilet appears to not be leaking, the towel hooks are installed and the floor is caulked. The only thing left is to caulk around the toilet and we're in business! We also have to install the toilet paper roll holder. Then we will be in business.
Pretty! I mean, cool.