Wednesday, February 6, 2013

In Which I Consider Teaching My Children to Lie

Yesterday I got a dramatic haircut. Five inches of hair was cut off and I went from having hair that just hangs to an actual cute style that requires "product." I love it.

I thought it was a big enough change that the kids would make some kind of comment when they got home from school. I know change is hard for kids, especially when it comes to seeing their mom change, so I wasn't expecting anything overly kind or gushing with praise. Maybe an acknowledgement that my hair looked different. Or even an "I don't like it," would have been fine. It's a big change after all.

But they said nothing. Not one thing.

Later, I met up with Robert at the Blue and Gold dinner in the evening at church. I'd given him a head's-up that morning that I was getting a drastically different hair cut. I expected that he would say something. But he didn't say anything.

Meanwhile, my friends were making nice comments. I even had one friend's husband comment that he liked it.

It's not that I require validation from the boys in my family. In fact, I've made a point NOT to need validation from them. It saves a lot of hurt feelings. I'm confident in my cooking and clothing choices and hair style: I don't need them to tell me I've done well. It's nice when they do, but I understand that type of observation just doesn't come naturally to them. It's all good.

But today I forced the issue.

I had Isaac alone in the car as we drove to his appointment with the eye doctor.

Me: Isaac, do you notice anything different about me?
Isaac: Your hair?
Me: Yes, I got five inches cut off my hair. How come you didn't say anything about it.
Isaac: When did you get it cut?
Me: Yesterday!
Isaac: Oh, yeah. I guess it is really short.

Then, when Ethan came home from school I asked him.

Me: Ethan, do you notice anything different about me?
Ethan: Hair cut.
Me: Yes, how come you didn't say anything?
Ethan: Why should I say anything? I noticed. What else was I supposed to say?

Finally, I asked Jonah. I went through the same routine as with the other two boys and when I asked him why he hadn't said anything, this is what he said.

Jonah: I didn't have anything nice to say. It's a big change. It's like when you see a guy with three eyes. It's surprising and it takes you a while to get used to it.

I believe it's time to teach my boys the art of diplomacy. Maybe even a little white lying. After all, if it's helpful and if it's kind, does it really matter if its 100% true?

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Like a guy with three eyes?!? That is so funny. There is one thing missing from this post though. A picture of your haircut! At least you could have posted a picture of your haircut on the blog with no words at all and in a few hours received at least a handful of affirming comments. I'm sure it looks great.

Afton said...

Gwen, I actually posted a picture on Facebook and got a lot of very nice compliments quickly. I know where to go for validation.

Natalie said...

Jonah sounds mature for his age, or maybe I just don't realize how old he is. Where is he encountering guys with three eyes? Since I'm not on facebook, could you please email me the photo? Do I sound voyeuristic? I just have to see it. Please.

Karina said...

Ha ha ha! Dan and I got a good laugh out of this!