Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Jell-o Project: Layers and Food Fights


For the Memorial Day picnic at Starlings I made a stunning ten Layer Jell-o mold. This is five different flavors of Jell-o, including the new mango flavor. Half of the dissolved Jell-o goes in the mold and the other half gets mixed with three tablespoons of sour cream. Then after the non-sour cream layer has had time to set up, you add the sour cream layer and let that set up. Rinse and repeat for your next four boxes.

If you think the Jell-o looks impressive in the picture above--and who wouldn't!--you should have seen the cross section at the picnic. It was breathtaking. And it went quickly.

It's so fun to bring Jell-o to people who are excited about Jell-o.

Only two people in my family (besides myself) were able to get a bit of this masterpiece before it was all gone: Robert and Isaac. Robert said it was very good and Isaac gave it a 2.8 out of three. I never found out why he dinged me .2 points, but someone wisely suggested I let it go.

After we got home and the glow of Jell-o success was starting to diminish, I reminded my family of the awesome Jell-o, just in case anyone wanted to offer more praise.

"It was a popular projectile in the food fight," Ethan offered.

There was a food fight?

The moral of the story is, don't be greedy seeking Jell-o praise. Even if you are sorely in need of it.

4 comments:

Betty Grace said...

So pretty!

I-Shüan said...

I LOVE that picture. Have you thought of becoming a Jell-o photographer? People could invite you over before they dig into their shrimp aspic and the like!

It was delicious, by the way! You will be invited to everyone's parties forever!

Natalie said...

That looks like a jell-o supernova. Glad it was appreciated.

Erika said...

Looks amazing! I love jello. People aren't really into jello here, darn it.