Sunday, February 26, 2012

Screen Free

The problem with waking up at 3am and not falling back asleep until 7am is you have plenty of time to come up with harebrained ideas to make your kid's lives miserable. You also have time to wonder what kind of ideas actual hares come up with that indicate inferior brain function.

Anyway, Screen Free week was hatched at 4-something in the morning. The idea had been percolating for a while, but 4-something is when I finally figured out how I would approach the boys. Because suggesting no computer, no TV, no Wii, and no DS to my clan, on some days, could be considered a death wish. Surprisingly, the boys seemed okay with it. As long as I participated too. I can't totally get off the computer because of the work I do writing, proofreading and checking emails for another job I have. But I can give up two of my biggest time wasters: Facebook and online Scrabble.

Tonight at dinner, we came up with ideas of things to do instead of sitting in front of a screen. There were rainy day ideas and sunny day ideas. After the kids mentioned playing with friends, playing baseball, playing with Legos, Beyblades, Hexbugs and Hot Wheels, I suggested a few things they may had forgotten: homework, read a book, practice piano.

Tomorrow morning we begin.

I predict pain all around.

1 comment:

Senia said...

I hope your blog is on your "need" list, because there are people that depend on you and get spoiled when you update 3 times in a week.

Regarding giving up Facebook - you can do it! Well, I know you've done it before but honestly, if I can do it, anyone can do it!