Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's Worse

A week into this kitchen re-do and I'm losing steam. The problem is things are in a bit of disarray around here. It's utter chaos actually.

Dinner is purchased each night at 5:30 from the grocery store down the street: 68 cent chicken pot pies one night, a frozen pizza another night, grilled cheese and canned soup another. We sit around a cluttered table, or sometimes just eat in shifts and search for utensils because the've been temporarily reassigned a different spot. We've run out of paper towels and all the dish rags have been used as cleaning rags and are in the wash.

It's not just kitchen things we can't find either. While I've been working on the kitchen, the rest of the house has gone to pot as well. We can't find soccer cleats or shin guards and somehow we are missing car seats. Ethan misplaces something every time he sets it down. Because of the clutter everywhere, he simply can't see where he put it. The best part, of course, is when he accuses everyone around him of stealing whatever it is that he lost. (Like anyone would want his 2 liter water rocket).

I was just told today by an informative Miller Paint employee that I've used the wrong kind of paint for my drawers. Her tone implied that I would need to purchase a can of paint remover and a bulk package of sandpaper. I wanted to yell at her. Does she realize how hard I've been working? It's done. The paint is on. There's no going back. I can't get her special kind of paint NOW. So it does no good for her to tell me I've completely screwed up.

Robert is not convinced of the magnet board covered pantry door (which I believe we need very much) and the new brushed pewter (or whatever it's called) colored doorknob to replace the brass one on the pantry didn't fit. And today I bought a chair for $15 and didn't notice until I was well on my way that one of the rails had been severely chewed by a dog. Or a beaver. As hard as I try not to, I think I see a few spots on the wall I need to repaint. Most of all though, the thought of staining or painting chairs makes me hyperventilate.

Meanwhile, life goes on. And with a messy house, it goes on very, very inefficiently. We have soccer games and mutual activities and piano lessons and tutoring and--oh my gosh--people still want to eat. Laundry continues to pile up and pee continues to spot the floors around the base of the toilets.

I've got to finish up with this project. Soon.

But all I really want to do is lay down for a long time.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Sorry this is such madness! I get it completely. I was working full time, pregnant, travelling all over, and doing and entire house. My kitchen has over 40 surfaces. Be grateful you aren't having to do the inside of everything too!! It will come together. It just seems like it takes forever and will never be done. I get it. Everyone will survive, including you!!!

Didn't I tell you something about that paint?!?!

Karina said...

LOL! Good luck! We have done many projects like yours. Your blog entry doesn't make me anxious to start staining our kitchen cabinets- a project I thought I would start this year.....maybe I will wait until next :)

a said...

I blame HGTV! It is not your fault, it is theirs. They show miserable people unhappy with their ....(fill in the blank) and then they send in a team of smiling helpful people, and then in 1/2 an hour they reveal this beautiful new .....(fill in the blank). How is one or maybe two home owners supposed to feel when after 30 minutes or even one hour, their project isn't done! They set unrealistic expectations we just can't live up to! Feet up, one chapter and then off you go. Then feet up one chapter and then off you go!!! Then feet up....

Erika said...

Hang in there! Can't wait to see the end result. I know how frustrating it can be, but it will all be worth it, right?

Natalie said...

You wanna know what evidence I see (from way over here) that you are busy and stressed? You have had the same book displayed in your Currently Reading section for...I'm not sure how long. But long. That's not like you. You usually breeze through them. (Btw, I am now reading the same book, because anything on your list is something I should check out. I'm enjoying it, though it is put-down-able at this point.)