Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In Which I Have a Pop Tart Paradigm Shift


I always have a twinge of guilt when I put Pop Tarts in the cart at the grocery store. At 200 calories each (my kids always eat 2 for breakfast) no slick slogan like "baked with real fruit" is going to convince me these pastries are a healthy part of any meal. But they're easy and they're fast and so every once in a while, I buy them for my kids.

I wallowed in guilt as my 9 year old toasted his Pop Tarts this morning. Alright, I didn't really wallow, but I didn't feel super great. Until I saw this Pop Tart recipe on the back of the Pop Tart box.

That's right. Pop Tarts have recipes. Evidently there is something you can do with a Pop Tart to make it even more calorie and fat laden than it already is. A recipe. It's on the inside of the box. Here's what it says:

Fan Fueling Crunchy PB&J Bars

1/4 cup marshmallow cream
4 Kellogg's Pop Tarts Frosted Strawberry toaster pastries
4 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup Kellogg's Crispix cereal
3 tablespoons candy-coated chocolate pieces (a.k.a. M&M's)

Directions
1. Spread marshmallow creame on Kellogg's Pop Tarts. Dot with peanut butter. Place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 350 for 1 to 2 minutes or until marshmallow creme begins to melt. Remove from oven. Carefully swirl marshmallow creme and peanut butter over tops of toaster pastries.

2. Sprinkle Kellogg's Crispix cereal and chocolate pieces on top. Bake at 350 for 2 minutes more. Carefully transfer to wire rack. Cool at least 20 minutes. Cut each toaster pastry into halves.

I'm not quite sure what to say about this concoction that must cool for 20 minutes.

Oh, wait. Yes I am.

Can I get a side of diabetes with that?

This recipe makes plain Pop Tarts seem almost healthy and by the transitive property, it makes me seem like not the worst mom ever. Yay!

9 comments:

Heather said...

Oh man...it reminds me of the breakfast Buddy has in "Elf." Did you make them--is that a picture that you took?? If so, very artfully taken!

Afton said...

No, no, no. I did not make these. It seems to be a lot over the top. Luckily the picture was easily found on google images.

a said...

So, we be very much addicts of Gilmore Girls who have the worst diet of anyones on this here planet! So, what do we's do? Every time the Gilmore Girls eat a pop tart or mention one, we eat one! Apparently it is easy to gain weight playing this here game! I like the smores ones the best! "and that is what we's did on ours summer vacation...."

Allyson said...

I sometimes put peanut butter and marshmallow creme on my kids' sandwich. We call it a fluffer nutter.

Emily said...

I am a card carrying foodie...but this scripture helped me this week when I was popping open cans of food right and left for my kids while I am moving...Proverbs 30:8. God says it's ok....:)

Afton said...

Love it Emily. Now THAT should be cross stitched into a pillow!

Anna said...

I have a friend who does Peanut Butter Nutella sandwiches - which sounded delicious until I told my husband about it and he said, "Yeah. That sounds good. But I'd rather just eat the nutella plain." I think I would too. But I suppose nutella on a pop tart...

Afton said...

I'm starting to get a Jim Gaffigan vibe here. How about a Pop Tart on a Pop Tart?

LeeAndrew said...

Mmmm, I love diabetes. I mean, Pop Tarts.