Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Jell-o Project: Easy Strawberry Cheese Salad

I don't know if there is some trick to turning out a beautiful Jell-o mold with out having the outer layer of Jell-o melt and make a sloppy mess all over your Jell-o photo shoot. I dip my mold in warm water for like 20 seconds and take it out and I get drippy, unattractive ooze.

While the ooze may look unappealing for the photo, it didn't affect my scientific subject's opinion of this week's Jell-o one bit. Ethan and Isaac still hated it while Jonah, Robert and I loved it.

Tonight's offering was Easy Strawberry Cheese Salad. Ethan had specifically requested strawberry Jell-o with strawberries in it. I realized that with this request he was expecting those two ingredients only, but where is the fun in that? It was time to try a layer. A cream cheese slash sour cream slash walnut layer.

Ethan did actually eat two-thirds of this fruity dish because he claimed to feel bad for wasting. I'm pretty sure he just didn't want to admit that he actually liked it. A little bit.

Isaac on the other hand, took his mandatory taste and promptly spit it out in the sink. However, when I told him that his dessert would also be one bite that he would be required to spit out in the sink unless he could suffer a bit more Jell-o, he decided he could give the Jell-o another shot. Ha!

I told my two Jell-o hold outs that they should enjoy this delicious fruit Jell-o while they could because soon I would be serving them Jell-o with meat! Even Robert was shocked that I would attempt to put meat in Jell-o. When I told him it would most likely be shrimp, he looked at me like he didn't even know me anymore.

Muwah ha haaaaaa!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm going to steal your earning dessert idea and make it my own. Maybe I will call it, "Do unto dinner as you would have dessert done unto you." It's sort of an "eye for an eye and a bite for a bite" type lesson. Love it. Brilliant! You're a genius! Oh-and I think I might actually try that recipe as well.

I-Shüan said...

You have turned into a MADWOMAN! (And I'm loving reading all about it!)

Shrimp, huh?

Unknown said...

Ok, so how is Robert going to sample the shrimp jello? Isn't he alergic to shell fish? Allyson

Heather said...

That is TOO funny! :) I love the last line about Robert. Very good. The strawberry cheese one sounds the best so far. Keep posting these--they are very entertaining, and I can totally picture each of the boys making their various comments. :)

Afton said...

Robert will not be around when I serve shrimp aspic. The thing is, if you are familiar with shrimp cocktail, shrimp aspic is really not that big of a leap. Of course none of my boys are familiar with shrimp cocktail.